Android 7.0 Nougat is the latest Operating System of Google for Android phones. With numerous new additions and multi-tasking capabilities, Android 7.0 Nougat went live in August 2016. While some smartphones like Google Pixel, Nexus, and LG models have already been privileged with Android 7.0 Nougat update. But some brands are still standing in the queues and Xiaomi is one of them. Apart from having a number of high-end smartphones, Xiaomi yet hasn’t got the access to Nougat-based new Operating System of Google.
If you are a Xiaomi user, you might have to wait long to get the firmware update for Nougat OS. But still, if you want, you can update your Xiaomi handsets to the latest Android 7.1 Nougat by installing the CyanogenMod 14.1 custom ROM. Xiaomi recently announced the Beta version of its Android Nougat-based MIUI 8 which will privilege its top-of-line models with the Nougat OS update. As Google Officially hasn’t yet pushed the new Android OS to the Xiaomi smartphones, the company started dispatching the Android 7.0 Nougat MIUI update to its top-of-the-line smartphones like Xiaomi Mi Max, Mi 5, and Redmi Note 3.
These three phones has recently started receiving Official Beta updates for CyanogenMod CM 14.1 Android 7.1 Nougat firmware and users who want to enjoy the features of Android 7.1 Nougat before its official release to Xiaomi phones can go download and install CyanogenMod CM 14.1 Android 7.1 Nougat firmware on Xiaomi Mi Max, Mi 5, and Redmi Note 3.
If you are wondering “HOW,” then this article will guide you through the easy and fast steps of downloading and installing CyanogenMod CM 14.1 Android 7.1 Nougat. Have a look:
Common things to consider before installing Custom ROM on Xiaomi Mi Max and Redmi Note 3:
- Make sure the device to reboot before downloading the custom ROM
- Make sure to have a backup of all the data stored in your phone memory as Installation of CyanogenMod CM 14.1 Android 7.1 Nougat needs memory clearance of the smartphone.
- Make sure your phone to have 80% charge, as the installation process needs lots of battery
How to install Custom ROM on Xiaomi Mi Max:
Prerequisites to follow:
- Make sure to enable USB debugging on your device by going to Settings > About > MIUI version seven times.
- Now return to Settings > Additional Settings > Developer Options > enable USB Debugging.
- Note: This process sis only for “MI Max” so don’t try to copy it for any other model, else your phone will be clogged-up.
Installing custom recovery
- Download the portable adb zip file on your Mi Max phone.
- Now connect a USB and extract the Zip file to your PC.
- Now, download the TWRP custom recovery image file and copy it to the extracted adb file.
- Now, link up your phone to your computer and double click on the “MAF32” file to launch it on your system
- Now the screen will prompt a command window. Now simply paste these commands into the command window one by one.
- Now, wait for your Mi Max reboots to bootloader mode
- Wait for the installation of fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.0.2-2-hydrogen-black-blue.img
- Now, your phone will reboot into the OS mode. Once done, proceed to the download process of CyanogenMod CM 14.1 Android 7.1 Nougat.
How to download and install:
- Download the package of CyanogenMod 14.1 custom ROM and Google Apps on your PC.
- Now, connect your Mi Max with your PC and move the above- downloaded zip files to your phone.
- Now, open the transportable adb folder and launch the “MAF32” file again.
- Now, enter these commands in command window one by one:adb devices adb reboot recovery
- Once your phone completes reboot process, disconnect your phone from your PC.
- Now, you are in recovery mode. Follow these steps to flash the CyanogenMod 14.1 custom ROM
- Click on ‘Wipe’ and verify to wipe up the system and cache.
- Now, click and install the CyanoegnMod 14.1 zip file and validate to flash.
- Repeat the Step-7 and install the Google apps package.
- After installation completes, restart your phone by clicking on the ‘Reboot System’ key.
- Now you are done! After reboot, your phone will be upgraded to the new Custom ROM.
Installation steps for Xiaomi Redmi Note 3
Things to remember before installing CyanogenMod CM 14.1 Android 7.1 Nougat:
Note: The below given are only validated for Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 running on Qualcomm Snapdragon 650 CPU) or Kenzo model. (To check your phone’s model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> Model number)
- Make sure to root your phone before installing ROM
- Install USB drivers on the PC to ensure Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 to be recognised by the PC.
- If your screen prompts force close, go to Settings >> Setup wizard >> Give permission
Steps to install CyanogenMod CM 14.1 Android 7.1 Nougat on Redmi Note 3:
- Download the package of Android 7.1 Nougat CyanogenMod CM 14.1 custom ROM and Google Apps on your computer
- Now, Connect Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 to the computer
- Now copy the Android Nougat AOSP ROM zip file and paste it in the storage root folder of your phone.
- Now, turn your phone off and disconnect it from Computer
- Now long press the Volume (Down) + Power buttons to carry out the Recovery Mode
- Once you enter into the TWRP settings menu, completely erase your phone’s memory by selecting ‘Wipe’ option.
- Once you are done, tap on –“Swipe to Factory Reset” to carry out factory reset
- Now, Return to TWRP settings and click on ‘Install’ button by the tapping on.Zip file in the phone’s memory
- Go back to TWRP menu setting and validate the installation by clicking on ‘Swipe to Confirm Flash.’
- The flashing of the custom ROM starts followed by a screen prompt reading ‘Successful.’
- Now the installation process is completed.
Note: If you face boot loop problem, go back to TWRP settings, and tap on ‘Wipe cache/Dalvik.’ It will resolve the boot issues related with custom ROM installation.
If you are a proud owner of Xiaomi Mi 5, you can apply for the beta testing program for Xiaomi’s MIUI 8, which will be upgraded to Android 7.0 Nougat later.