Microsoft Corp. on Wednesday announced that the Windows 10 Anniversary Update is coming to all Windows 10 devices — for free1 — on Aug. 2. Windows 10 continues to be the fastest-growing version of Windows ever and is now running on more than 350 million devices. The Windows 10 Anniversary Update has all-new breakthrough features that bring Windows Ink and Cortana2 to the mainstream; a faster, more accessible and more power-efficient Microsoft Edge browser; advanced security features for consumers and enterprises; new gaming experiences; and new tools for the modern classroom. To help protect businesses from today’s modern threats, Microsoft also announced two new security features for enterprise customers: Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection and Windows Information Protection, formerly referred to as enterprise data protection.
“When we introduced Windows 10, our vision was not only to deliver the best and most secure version of the OS ever, it was also to create an experience that would keep getting better,” said Terry Myerson, executive vice president, Windows and Devices Group. “The Windows 10 Anniversary Update is a great example of this — and we look forward to building on it even further in the future.”
New deals, plus security, productivity and fun features for consumers
To celebrate the availability of the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, Microsoft is making it easy for everyone to enjoy the great new features with special offers. Students can save $300 when they purchase an Xbox One and Surface3 or get a free TV when they purchase a Dell PC over $699.4 Plus, consumers can get $150 off select HP5 devices or $100 off select ASUS6 and Samsung devices.
The Windows 10 Anniversary Update is full of innovations that help people be more productive, stay safer online — and, of course, have fun too.
- More security features for the most secure Windows. For all Windows 10 customers, the Anniversary Update brings new improvements to Windows Hello and Windows Defender.
- With Windows Hello, customers can sign in with enterprise-grade security, password-free, to apps, and access supporting websites with biometric authentication using Microsoft Edge, the first and only browser to natively support biometrics.7
- Windows Defender anti-malware improves with the option to automatically schedule periodic quick scans of a PC, and provide notifications and summaries when scans are complete and if scans find any threats.
Building on the existing security features in Windows 10 are these two new security benefits for enterprise customers:
- Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection is designed to detect, investigate and respond to malicious attacks and is informed by the world’s largest array of sensors and expert advanced threat protection, including a team of expert security researchers at Microsoft.
- Windows Information Protection, formerly referred to as enterprise data protection, helps protect businesses from accidental data leaks by separating personal and organizational data, protecting corporate data wherever it goes.
One of the best ways to get the Windows 10 Anniversary Update is to upgrade to Windows 10 before the free upgrade offer endsJuly 29, 2016. More information can be found at https://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-10-upgrade.
Microsoft (Nasdaq:MSFT ) is the leading platform and productivity company for the mobile-first, cloud-first world, and its mission is to empower every person and every organisation on the planet to achieve more.
SOURCE: Microsoft Corp.