BlackBerry, the smartphone making company which was being considered as leader in the market, is now within the influx of competitors like Apple and Samsung. In order to turn the handset business to a revenue generating one, the company is looking forward to expand it this fiscal year.
BlackBerry CEO Jhon Chen revealed, in an Annual General Meeting held on Wednesday, that as announced earlier this year that the company will unveil details on upcoming its mid-range Android smartphones in the current fiscal year, the wait will soon come to an end as the details about the handsets will be launched as soon as next month.
Speaking to Mobile Syrup, Chen said, “I’m not really prepared to unveil that. I guess, I was thinking about doing that more in July time frame. I have spoken about having two of them in between now and the end of this fiscal year, and they usually they both of them more in the mid-range and mid to high, not going to be a high end phone.”
Chen confirmed that both of the handsets will be based on Android operating system and one of them will be in mid-range price segment, while, other in the mid to high segment. It seems that BlackBerry is not targeting the high-end smartphone market this year. Further details on the handsets will be revealed by the company in July. Rumors suggest that the smartphones said to be codenamed Hamburg and Rome.
It is assumed that after launching an unsuccessful Android phone, BlackBerry Priv, the company has decided to not aim at high-end market. Previously, company has also stated that if it won’t get a significant response from its Priv then it will shut down the smartphone business.
According to The Wall Street Journal, in the latest quarter, BlackBerry only sold around 500,000 of the said devices. The latest sales figures are lower than the number of handsets sold in the third and fourth quarters of the previous year. BlackBerry sold 700,000 units and 600,000 units in the said quarter periods, respectively.