Microbiologist Girish Sahni has become the new chief of Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) on 26 August 2015. Sahni was director of CSIR-Institute of Microbial Technology in Chandigarh before resuming as CSIR director general. He will also serve as Secretary, Department of Scientific & Industrial Research, Union Ministry of Science & Technology.
Sahni who was born on 2 March 1956 completed his Ph.D. in 1984 from the Indian Institute of Science(IISc) located in Bengaluru. He has specialization in Biotechnology, Molecular Biology and Protein Engineering. Being Fellow Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi; Indian Academy of Science, Bangalore, and NASI, Allahabad, he is recognized internationally for his marvelous contributions. In I991 Sahni joined CSIR-IMTECH and became its director in 2055. He has always said that all bacteria aren’t harmful instead some are useful.
Some Facts about Girish Sahni
- He led the team that produced first clot buster drug, natural streptokinase in the country. The drug is marketed by Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd. Ahmedabad under brand name STPase.
- Sahni’s contribution in the field of protein cardiovascular drugs has been immense.
- He had developed a life-saver thrombolytic drug. He also patented it.
- His research in field clot buster lead him to development of world’s first fourth-generation Anti-thrombotic clot busters
- He has been awarded on many occasions including National Biotechnology Product Development Award 2002, CSIR Technology Shield 2001-2002, The Vasvik Industrial Award 2000, Ranbaxy Award in Pharmaceutical Sciences 2003 and Vigyan Rattan Award 2014.