India’s one of the first YouTube channel, AIB recently held a Roast off for the Bollywood Celebrities Arjun Kapoor and Ranveer Singh where Karan Johar played the Roast Master.
AIB recently gained a momentum in its popularity after they made a video featuring Alia Bhatt- AIB: Alia Bhatt-Genius of the Year.
The roast off was supposed to be insulting and Karan Johar said that at the very beginning and yet they got some haters against the roast off even though the victims, that is, Arjun and Ranveer took the insult jokes, sportingly. Their pasts, present and future were dragged into the roast. Not even the ones roasting the poor actors were spared. Karan Johar came out of the closet and accepted his gay status.
The roast off team included film critic Rajiv Masand, the only female in the insult panel-Aditi Mittal, YouTuber Abhish Matthews, former Roadies judge Raghu Ram and the AIB co-founders- Gursimran Khamba, Tanmay Bhat, along with Rohan Joshi and Ashish Shakya.
Some of the insults that were offensive but were rather taken sportingly are as follows:
On Ranveer Singh-
- How does it feel to be the only guy in India who is sad every time Virat Kohli scores a century?
- To Deepika, thanks from the women society for taking one for the team and taking Ranveer off the streets.
On Karan Johar who was also dragged into the Roast-
- You are amazing uplifting the already uplifted (referring to Alia Bhatt and Varun Dhawan).
- You wouldn’t have to pay for critics if you paid for better scriptwriters.
On Arjun Kapoor-
- You failed 12th standard and after that, you lost a lot of weight. You are Smriti Irani in reverse.
- You have been dating Sonakshi Sinha, so congratulations there. But those are all rumours as you know that you are not supposed to touch carbs.
Arjun Kapoor and Ranveer Singh didn’t look offended during the roast off, but at the end when they were offered to speak, they took their chance and got back on everyone with insults and the dialogue that the audience sitting here can pay for a Rs4000 ticket to watch the roast off but they can’t spend that money to watch the duo’s films which would have been cheaper.
Overall the roast off was not exactly a place to be with family but was a fun to watch scenario where the realities in form of insults were revealed and was a good thing to watch if one has a sense of humor. Although the concept we saw was refreshing, still we’d like to end this by saying, “What was the PR team of Arjun and Ranveer thinking?”